Ham and cheese sliders are a smashing success in my home. Both the picky little eaters and adults alike love it! Using Hawaiian rolls, a mixture of toppings, and the ham and cheese (of course), these sliders are quick to put together and quick to bake on the grill. Oh, and they are gone quick, too!
What do I Need for Ham and Cheese Sliders?
For this recipe, you’ll need Hawaiian rolls, ham, Swiss cheese, butter, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, dried onion flakes and parsley flakes. Oh, and a 9×11″ foil pan to put it all in.
Getting the Sliders Ready
Start out by getting your grill ready to be at 350 degrees over indirect heat. I like to use hickory wood, but feel free to use whichever smoking wood you like. Using a 12-pack of Hawaiian rolls, take them out of the package and keep them all in piece (this is how they come). Take a bread knife and slice the rolls in half as if you’re making one big sandwich (because you kinda are). Keep the bread knife handy because you’ll need it again. Next, take a half pound of sliced ham and lay them on the bottom half of the sliced rolls. then pile on a half pound of Swiss cheese on top of that. Top the cheese with the top half of the rolls.
Now that the ham and cheese sliders are mostly assembled, it’s time to create the mixture to spread on top! In a small bowl, melt 1/4 Cup of butter (also known as 1/2 stick of butter or 4 Tbsp). In this same bowl, pour in 1 Tablespoon of dijon mustard, a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and a half teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Mix ingredients together in the bowl. Then take a food brush (or basting brush) and brush all over the tops of the rolls, including sides. To top off the sliders (for now), take a couple of teaspoons of dried onion flakes and sprinkle them on, making sure each roll top is covered. Carefully pick up the sliders, keeping them all in one piece, and place in foil pan.
On the Grill…and After
With the ham and cheese sliders in the foil pan, place them on the grill at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I seem to have the best luck around 17 minutes. The tops will get a little brown and you will see the cheese melt down the sides. Once cooked, remove from the grill and let sit for a minute to allow the pan to cool. Take a spatula and scoop out the sliders (still in one piece) onto a cutting board.
Melt an extra tablespoon of butter and use a food brush to dab the tops of the sliders. If you brush, then you will knock off the onion flakes baked into the tops of the rolls. Now that they are lightly buttered, sprinkle parsley flakes lightly on sliders.
Remember the bread knife I said to keep handy? Now is the time to use it again. Slice the rolls into 12 individual sliders. These ham and cheese sliders will be eye-popping and I won’t judge you if you want to take pictures. Just get those pics in quickly before your family and guests come for them!
- One 12-pack of Hawaiian rolls
- 1/2 lb sliced ham
- 1/2 lb sliced Swiss cheese
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees. Slice 12-pack of Hawaiian rolls (stuck together) in half. Lay slices of ham on the bottom half of rolls, then the Swiss cheese. Place the top half of rolls on top. Move to foil pan (preferably 9"x11").
- In a small bowl, mix 4 Tbsp. of melted butter, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Brush mixture on top of rolls. Sprinkle on dried onion flakes. Place sliders inside grill for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove pan of sliders from grill. Use spatula to remove connected sliders and place on cutting board. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter and dab on top of rolls. Sprinkle parsley flakes on top. Slice into 12 individual sliders and serve.
1. This recipe can easily be made in the oven if a grill is not available.
2. I use hickory wood in my grill for these, but feel free to use whichever smoking wood you prefer.
3. Layer Swiss cheese to go a little outside of the sliders so they melt down and give you some crispy cheese edges. So good!
Serving Size:1 slider
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.