If you’ve ever been to a gathering of sorts, especially those where watching sports is involved, then there’s a chance you’ve had bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. These hollowed out peppers stuffed with cheese are always a hit. But wrapped in bacon? Even better. Add a kiss of hickory smoke? Next level. I’ll explain how to make these grilled poppers in quick time.
Prepping the Poppers
For this recipe, you’ll need jalapenos, cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, chili lime seasoning, and bacon. Before you start prepping the jalapeno poppers, preheat your grill to 375 degrees with hickory wood over indirect heat. Now that you’ve done this, grab a cutting board, sharp knife, spoon, and the jalapenos. Cut the stem off the tops of the jalapenos. Next, slice them in half longways and use the spoon to scoop out the insides (seeds, rib, placenta).
In a medium sized bowl, mix a pack of softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese together. Note: if you want to add a little heat to the poppers, mix in some shredded pepper jack cheese. Even hotter? Leave some of the jalapeno seeds in. Take the spoon and scoop the cheeses into the sliced jalapenos. Sprinkle the chili lime seasoning on top. Now grab the strips of bacon and wrap one strip around one jalapeno popper. To keep the bacon from unraveling during the cook, I suggest wrapping the bacon a little tighter. Tucking in the ends of the bacon strips will help. Once this is done, sprinkle a little more chili lime seasoning on top.
Bringing the Poppers Together
Place the bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on a baking sheet and cook on the grill for 30 minutes. Remember, the grill should be at 375 degrees with indirect heat and smell of hickory. If you have a cooling rack that fits the size of your baking sheet, then put the jalapeno poppers on that while they cook as to not get the bottoms too crispy/burnt.
After 30 minutes, the bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers are done. Some folks like their bacon cooked to different degrees. If you want your bacon more crispy, then consider cooking a little longer. With the bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers done, you are now ready to be the hit of the party! That is, if you don’t keep them all to yourself. Note: if you’d like a different appetizer or side dish to try, may I suggest some elotes (Mexican street corn).
- 12 jalapenos, halved and scooped out
- 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chili lime seasoning
- 24 strips bacon
- Preheat grill to 375 degrees over indirect heat. Cut jalapenos in half, slicing long ways. Take spoon to scoop out seeds. In separate bowl, combine cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Place mix into each jalapeno half. Wrap filled jalapeno halves with one strip of bacon each. Apply chili lime seasoning on top when done.
- Place bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers on cooling rack or baking sheet and place in grill for 30 minutes or until bacon is to desired crispiness. Remove when done.
1. Place bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers on cooking rack for more even cook and bacon crispiness.
2. Speaking of crisp of bacon, for each person this differs. This may take longer than 30 minutes to reach your desired crispiness.
Serving Size:1 popper
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 8.3gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
NOTE: Nutrition information isn't always accurate.