Whenever I smoke a pork shoulder (aka- pork butt) for my family, I end up with a lot leftover. Since there are five of us in my family and seven pounds of pork, we usually have some left. Good thing with pulled pork is that it reheats very well. Probably the best out of all of the BBQ meats. One of my favorite things to do with leftover pulled pork is making BBQ pulled pork nachos! Easy to make and can be served up as either an appetizer or a main dish.
When I make BBQ pulled pork nachos, I prefer to do them in a large cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a good-sized cast iron, then feel free to use something else that you feel comfortable cooking with on the grill. With that said, grab a bag of your favorite tortilla chips and put down a single layer, enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
Next, add the pulled pork. I recommend grabbing a handful and dispersing evenly across the chips. Then I grab a can of black beans, drain the juice out of the can, then grab a handful and spread around in the skillet. Then I grab a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and spread around. Finally for this layer, I drizzle BBQ sauce on top. Add another layer of tortilla chips and simply repeat the layering of the same ingredients. Put on the preheated grill at 350 degrees over indirect heat using hickory wood. Cook for 10-15 minutes then remove for the final steps.
Can I cook this in the oven?
Absolutely! If you don’t feel like going outside and getting your grill going, you can totally cook up these BBQ pulled pork nachos inside in your oven. You won’t get that hint of hickory smoke flavor in the whole dish, but it’ll still taste pretty dang good.
The finishing touches
Once you’ve pulled the skillet of BBQ pulled pork nachos off the grill (or out of the oven), dice up some cilantro and avocado to sprinkle on the top. We do this after it cooks so these ingredients don’t get browned and wilted. If you want to spice them up a little, put some pickled jalapenos on top as well. I love keeping the nachos as they are in the skillet because it maintains that authentic, visual effect. I do recommend you grab a handful before serving to your family and/or guests because they will vanish fast!
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 2 Cups pulled pork
- 2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup black beans
- 1/2 Cup BBQ sauce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tsp cilantro, diced
- 1/4 Cup jalapeños, pickled
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees over indirect heat using hickory wood. Place layer of tortilla chips in large cast iron skillet, covering the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle on a cup of pulled pork, cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of black beans, and drizzle 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce. Add another layer of tortilla chips and add rest of pulled pork, shredded cheese, black beans, and BBQ sauce.
- Place skillet on grill and cook for 10-15 minutes. Dice up cilantro and avocado and put on top of nachos. Add jalapeño to spice it up.
1. This can be cooked in the oven. It won't have that hint of hickory smoke flavor, but will still be tasty.
2. Feel free to add other ingredients such as diced onions, tomatoes, etc.
Serving Size:1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 225gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 12gProtein: 20g
NOTE: nutrition information isn't always accurate.